Friday, August 27, 2010

www.what?

I'm so bored with the internet. What a funny thing to say. I'll say it again, just for effect. I'm bored with the internet. I wonder how that's possible; the entire world at my fingertips and I'm over it? I can learn anything I want to know instantly. I can see what all of my 'friends' are doing, all on one site and I'm starting to not care. Maybe my brother is on to something wanting to delete his facebook page. But then, what would I do in class? (I'm just kidding; I'm an outstanding student...) Here are some possible reasons why I'm bored:
1. I like learning, don't get me wrong. I just love books and I feel they are being endangered by this world wide web. Save the books, boycott Wikipedia! Should we start a movement?
2. I have a short attention span. I'm not committed to reading an entire article, often. Give me the outline and I'll decide. This would greatly improve the internet. How about a rating of interest before every item on the internet? This is very interesting, mildly interesting, boring as heck... I need a filter on my internet that only allows very interesting things. I may be on to something; patent please...
3. I have a general disinterest in trivial information about Sally's vacation. C'mon let's be real. (I just deleted the sentence I had here because I am making a real effort to be nice, so let me say something like: I would love to hear about your plane ride to Virginia Beach and I would also be very interested that your hotel has a pool! Nah, I'm lying, but I tried.)
4. I'm tired of, in my sister's words, communicating with my friends without actually communicating. What ever happened to a phone call? What about a visit? I feel we are replacing genuine relationship with status updates. It's funny because we write things like 'I love you; call me :)' in comments to our 'friends' but if they call we don't answer because we don't recognize the number. I don't know, maybe this is evolution.
Please respond and rate this post on a scale of 'very interesting--boring as heck'. Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. on a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being boring as heck, i give it a 3.5. It shows promise, particularly with the patent ideas. the only problem is what is interesting to brittney spears does not interest me. how will we get around that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we could rate things ourselves for a trial period and then, based on our ratings the program could filter. Yeah, yeah, I really am onto something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree more, Sharina. So... I love you - Call me :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. boring as heck, imo.

    JK! CALL MEEE!!

    (OH-ho! It's funny, cuz I jokingly posted "call me" in my comment to your last post without having read this one yet. LOLOL.)

    But yes. It's fascinatingly true, this comuunicating without communicating. HOWEVER. I would not delete my facebook page. I like to keep tabs on what my friends are doing without having to fill in the awkward time spaces that always come with a phone call. I rarely have enough to say that merits a call, which seems to be fairly standard for most people (in my experience). I don't elminate calling altogether.... just keep a healthy mix of both!
    BESIDES! you can post pictures on FB, and look at/stalk your friends' pics, and that's reason enough to keep it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your argument is valid, O2, I shall consider it.

    ReplyDelete