Sunday, August 22, 2010

That's Only One-third of the Test?

Antipsychotics work by blocking dopamine receptors. Evidently dopamine causes psychosis? Phenothiazines; I suppose the only type or the only one I have to know. Wow, I wonder if I have to remember all the names: Thorazine, Prolixin, on and on... Okay, photosensitivity; I can remember that, right? Avoid direct contact with this medication in liquid form. I wonder why but I'm too tired to look it up at this point. Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome. Neuro means the senses and lepsis means to take hold of. Thank you Greek! Malignant is bad so this syndrome must be, as well. Not sure I'm looking up autonomic instability tonight, either. Dantrolene treats something else, too. Duh, you stop the medication. Increase fluids because there's a fever. EPS, (Extrapyramidal Syndrome); that's a hard word to say: Extrapyramidal. Treat this with cholinergics unless its too late and there is permanent tardive dyskinesia. There are some videos of that on Youtube. There are videos of everything on Youtube. People put stupid stuff on Youtube. Atypical antipsychotics: Clozaril, Risperdal, Abilify, (the only one I've heard of)... Observe for diabetes mellitus and infection; I'm sure there's a good reason for that. Antidepressants; that looks like a really long word typed out. SSRI's: Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro. These sound like ink cartridge brands. My printer is almost out of ink. Ink is so expensive. Good thing I don't print notes. Maybe that would give me something to do in class. Take these with food in the morning. Oh, this has the risk of Serotonin Syndrome. Did you know there's an over-the-counter cough syrup that blocks the reuptake of serotonin? Tremors, mood change, apnea leading to death, diarrhea, sweating, bloating; perhaps I have these symptoms out of order. Okay, we're supposed to administer a serotonin receptor blockade. Is that a drug? Another thing I probably won't be looking up. My daughter is coughing. I hope she's not getting sick the night before the first day of school. I'm going to go check. Dantrolene and Valium for muscle rigidity. What is this about? Oh yeah, Serotonin Syndrome. Atypical antidepressants; I love how Lexicomp just has 'other' in the drug class category. I especially loved writing that on that clinical paperwork and getting counted off for it. Wellbutrin, Effexor, Remeron, Cymbalta... Somnolence; being very sleepy. Anticholinergic effects; isn't that all of the drugs? Take this with food. TCA antidepressants. These were developed in the 1950's in France, I believe. Tofranil, Norpramin, Elavil... Tachycardia, lethal in overdose. Should we be giving these to depressed patients? Take in the evening. MAOI's: Nardil, Parnate, Marplan, Emsam, (which is a patch). Causes muscle cramps. This is the one you have to watch out for tyramine. Also has drug interactions. I want to go to sleep. Also causes Hypertensive Crisis; nuchal rigidity, severe nosebleeds, dilated pupils. Cool the patient down. This one is also lethal in overdose. Okay, stimulant drugs; Ritalin, Cylert, Adderall, Dexedrine... So, Strattera is a stimulant drug, but its not a CNS stimulant? Anorexia, cardiac effects. Sounds like cocaine. "If you wanna hang out you've got to take her out; cocaine..." Treats narcolepsy too; makes sense. I bet cocaine would treat narcolepsy. "She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie, cocaine..." Antianxiety; I think I'd rather say anxiolytics; makes me sound smarter. Benzodiazepines: Xanax, Librium, Valium, Lorazepam... And Buspar, which is not a benzodiazpine, I think. Treats anxiety disorders, insomnia, OCD, depression, PTSD and alcohol disorder. I might just eat this entire pint of ice cream. Rocky road is so good. Moderates the actions of GABA, anxiolytics, not rocky road. Can cause dependence and tolerance. Mood stabilizing drugs are for bi-polar disorder. These are Lithium, Tegretol, Depakote, Lamictal and Neurontin. They decrease the release of norepinephrine and normalize the reuptake of neurotransmitters. This can cause hand tremors, rash and surprise, surprise- anticholinergic effects. Oh, I bet there will be questions over the toxicities: metal taste with Lithium, alopecia and hepatic failure with Depakote, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome with Lamictal and aplastic anemia with Tegretol. So take with food, monitor lab levels and have adequate fluid intake. Alcohol deterrents: Antabuse and Campral make you sick if you drink. Opioid deterrents: Methadone, Suboxone and Clonidine block cravings and effects of opioids. Decision time: Should I get up early or stay up late? Perhaps both...

2 comments:

  1. When I left LCU they "diagnosed" me as Bipolar II. They gave me Lamictal. No rashes or SJS, but a heck of a lot of waivers. Kind of creeped me out. "You might die if you take this, sign here." Eventually I got off them and was still just struggling with depression. After my most recent of stresses "beth", I decided to start taking Paxil again. I'm so bad at taking pills. I took it for four days and then have forgot the last three days. I'm just dangerous when it comes to medicating myself. I love Rocky Road too. It keeps me sane and single. Not sure if I like both those. Love you! Good luck on your test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o_o

    I feel sorry for you, seester.

    That was a lot of big/complicated words in a very small space.

    ReplyDelete