Friday, August 20, 2010

I'm sorry; what did you say?

Have you ever had somebody hang up on you while you're talking on the phone? I mean, mid-sentence, just 'click'!? How does it make you feel? I'm asking because my mother-in-law does this all the time. You call her and you're talking and as soon as she gets the information she wants from you she's done. Sometimes you get a brief 'okay' before the click and rarely even a 'bye' but, more often than not, its simply a click. It doesn't matter who called whom, this is how the conversation ends. Its easy to be offended by this, or frustrated, as my husband often is. I'm just emotionally distant enough to appreciate this conversation-ending tactic. I wish I could be so brave. You know when you've been on the phone with someone and the conversation is clearly over and you try to 'wrap it up'? Don't you just hate it when the other party is oblivious to the fact that you're over the chat? I even have this problem with online chat or text messaging. You ask a question and then you get the answer; now you feel obligated to say 'bye', often with a token smiley face :) How liberating it would be to be on the phone and once you ascertain the PTO meeting is indeed at seven Tuesday night you just hang up without hearing about the fantastic casserole Susan made last night! Wouldn't it be great to not have to worry about whether or not its customary to offer the 'goodbye smiley' online? I propose we start a movement, you and I. No more idle chat! No more telling about the funny thing your cat does! No more discussing the tuna-for-chicken substitution in your casserole! I challenge you to hang up on the next person that strays into boring land in their conversation; (clearly, I'm not serious). No more awkward niceties that mean nothing! Come with me; we can change the world!
Okay, its been great blogging to you; bye :)

1 comment:

  1. "So then I was all like, 'Bitch please. I've freakin mastered the art of--'"

    *click*

    "Hello? Helloooo? Nice."

    ReplyDelete