Friday, April 1, 2011

Hate is ok in Context??

I don't understand. Why does something like a child's basketball game have to be so serious? Apparently with my forty dollar payment, not only does my daughter get to play ten or so basketball games, we also get nastiness, bitterness, hatefulness and flat-out ugliness from some of the coaches. It simply is disgusting. Why ruin something that should be fun for these children? What are we really teaching them? Hey, with the right manipulation and vindictiveness you can have your way. When you lose at something don't learn from it how to be better. Don't even accept losing at all. Fight back with gossip and rumors and accusations and ugliness. I mean, what kind of coach allows, at least, and perhaps encourages her players to curse at the opposing team, throw tantrums when losing and distract the opposite team when shooting a free throw by shrieking or clapping? This is such bad sportsmanship. I really am amazed at the audacity of this particular coach from last night, as well as many of the parents, (not only from last night's game.) Seriously, this is your child. Her performance on the basketball court should not shape your view of her. Why do you have to go up there during halftime and chew your child out in front of everyone, wagging your finger in her face? Sheesh, people. Relax, this is just a game! And, more importantly, these are our children! Can we please stop all this ugliness? Can we, as adults, please set a good example for our children? Remove hate from this game. These children are innocent victims and this is abuse. I'm serious. They trust you as their coach to teach them the right way and you are telling them to push and curse and distract and be sore losers. You are teaching them hate! Can you not see that? You should be ashamed of yourselves! That is all; for now, anyways...

4 comments:

  1. I tried to think of something heartfelt and meaningful to comment on this post, as it is a serious issue and a real problem. But all that came to mind was, "They need to stop drinking all that Hatorade," and that's just sad. : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! Hatorade. Don't feel bad; I totally youtubed that Jill Scott song, Hate on me Haters...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharina, I so feel your anger and disgust. This year was the FIRST year since Kindergarten that we have not experienced exactly the things you describe on the court. It's a very, very sad thing that there is not one sports organization in our town that I will allow my children to participate in because they will witness such bad behavior... mostly from ADULTS. Gah!!! It's beyond ridiculous. We have to drive to a town 40 miles away to have our kids on a team that teaches good sportsmanship, good basketball, and (gasp!) Christ-like behavior is actually the standard. Would that I were that pioneer that had the strength to take on the battle of change in this area for our kids. Alas, too many battles are already on my plate. So sorry that it was another rough season for you guys. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. I think the only one who is really trying to make any positive difference is Fields. Too bad he is not coaching majors this season. I suppose I just try to make it a teaching moment for my child on what NOT to do...

    ReplyDelete