Thursday, September 30, 2010

One is Silver and the Other Gold

I have heard that a good friend is like a fine wine. I haven't a clue about wine and what makes one fine. (I am smart enough to figure out, from the saying that wine gets better with time.) So, sure, some friendships get better with time and some just die. In fact, I know that if wine has been opened it needs to be thrown out after a while. It gets pretty gross, actually; I learned that the hard way. Some friendships are like this, too. If it turns out it's shallow I'm throwing it out. Maybe this is why I only have a handful of true friends, (in addition to my brother and sister, both of whom I am glad to call friend.) These are people who truly know me and, amazingly, still want to be friends with me. I am so grateful for my true friends. I am grateful for the people that get better with and withstand the test of time.
I am grateful for the friend that I can call and know that her word is good. She is dependable. She keeps me grounded with her honest opinion. She's not afraid to disagree with me because she knows I value what she says. She knows what I'm thinking when I'm not speaking. (It's been fourteen years and I am proud to call you 'best friend'.)
I am grateful for a friend who knows that there is no distance severing friendship, neither time nor space. She gets me, truly. She can convey more meaning and presence in a short text message than most could with a long visit. She radiates warmth, because when she says 'I love you' she means it. (Myrtle loves you, too.)
I am grateful for my newest friend, who I feel like I've known all my life. She is so accepting and in her smile is the love of God. When I'm around her I am ministered to and she doesn't even realize how profoundly God speaks through her. I hope we can remain friends for a lifetime.
I am grateful for the sweet girl in Honduras and my dear friend in New Mexico, as well. I love you both so much and that is enough to keep us together.
Truly I am blessed.

1 comment: