Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The City on a Hill

Sooo, I'm sure everyone in the world has an opinion about this Bin Laden killing. Well, maybe not everyone in the world. There are the sick, the impoverished and the dying who probably don't have time to be concerned about it. But who cares about them right? They're not important. (Hold that thought.) So, here is my thing about this. I'm an American, in that I am a citizen of this country. (I have a birth certificate and everything. Did not know there were long forms until recently.) Anyways, I think the word is being abused. American...what kind of images come to mind when you think of the word? The flag, the military, apple pie, egocentrism, consumerism... I digress. So we killed Osama Bin Laden. See how when I use the word 'we' there everyone assumes Americans? (It's what I meant, after all.) In reality, though, I had nothing to do with the killing of Bin Laden. Unless by paying taxes I fund the government that allowed for the CIA to hunt him down and provided the resources for the military to kill him. Well then, perhaps I am an accomplice. Ooooh, I used the word accomplice like killing Bin Laden was a murder. Fair warning: Here is the part of this post where I lose readers and anger people. You may want to navigate away from this page now! So, yes I think that to take the life of another human is murder; regardless of what that person has done. I think justice is to take care of the poor and widowed, the sick and dying. I think my loyalty should lie within another kingdom and if that makes me a bad American I don't care. (There are more of us out there than you think.) And no, I cannot in good conscience celebrate the murder of another human being. I refuse to place myself on the judgement seat and proclaim that justice has been done. I feel that is to blaspheme. Yes, I'm serious right now. If you want to call me unpatriotic or a bad American that is fine. Before you go judging me though, please stick with me for a few more lines:
You shall not murder, Exodus 20.13
Do not judge, so that you may not be judged, Matthew 7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment