Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Naomi, Again

So I learned a few things last night in an interesting way. I went to a prayer meeting with members of my church. So, we had to stand in a circle and hold hands, which is not my thing. Anyways, I was able to push through my discomfort and pay attention. Everyone is praying one by one in the circle and my pastor, who is standing one person away from me is praying out loud the whole time. So, I start listening to this man. (If you're asking, 'why weren't you praying'; good question. I was but it was mostly, 'God, please let this hurry up because my hand is feeling sweaty already.') My pastor is praying for people, and not just any people; he is praying for the very people that talk ugly about him and slander him behind his back. I started feeling pretty petty pretty quickly. I'm over here mad about old news that I just can't seem to let go, while this man is praying genuinely for people who will always attack him. My bitterness seemed to float away. Mara I am no longer. It's amazing what I learned at a prayer meeting by not praying.

3 comments: