Monday, October 18, 2010

Three Syllables; Sounds Like...

So, about a week ago I had to take my daughter to the emergency room of (name withheld) hospital for treatment of her asthma. She is doing great now, thank God. Anyways, when we were leaving the nurse aide read the discharge instructions to me. I'm reading along with her as she is reading out loud to me. There was an instruction to 'avoid exertion' for at least five days. Now, here is what she said: "She needs to make sure she avoids extortion for at least five days." Now, I was very tired at this point in the evening so I laughed a little when she said this. She looked up at me with a puzzled look on her face and I offered no explanation. In my mind, though, I'm thinking, 'Extortion?' I'm not sure we can manage. I mean, she has this hedge fund she is working on...
Seriously, shouldn't you be able to read if you are giving discharge teaching to a parent? More over, isn't it the nurse's job to do the teaching? What if I had had questions? For example, what if I had not known what the word extortion meant? Who would explain to me that my daughter was now prohibited from illegally exacting money from her hedge fund? What if she had gone ahead and done it? She could have been hospitalized for an exacerbation of her asthma. Imagine all of the teaching that would be necessary at that point...

1 comment: