Friday, November 1, 2013

Either You Will Love the One and Hate the Other

Alright, so who has seen this new show, Preachers of LA?  Anyone?  Well, I would love for everyone to watch one episode.  I have seen all the episodes so far and, I must say, there is little differentiation between them.  So, basically, the premise is this: all these (famous?) preachers in Los Angeles are on a reality show that follows their personal lives and their interaction with each other.  Now, I have never heard of any of the preachers and its not quite relevant to know their names, anyways.  As an aside, the show airs on the Oxygen network.  Outside of this show, I have never seen any of the other shows on this network.  A brief look at their website reveals they have other shows, such as Bad Girls, My Big Fat Revenge and Best Ink.  I haven't the slightest what any of those shows are about, but it looks like quality viewing to me...  Anyways, this show is ridiculous.  I know, I know, I just recommended you watch it; let me tell you why.  The producers of this show must have worked on Cribs.  Who remembers that show?  All these famous artists and athletes taking MTV into their homes to show off all of their extravagance...  Remember how it would show them getting out of their Bentley or BMW all in slow motion with background music and the little 'bling' flash and sound?  Well, you get the same shots in this show about these preachers, with the same vehicles and everything.  It makes for good TV.  These producers are as cynical about the 'megachurch' in America as I am. 

As it turns out, the gospel business is quite lucrative.  This is not a secret to most Christians but I would at least consider it dirty laundry.  I mean, we all remember that Jesus would travel around in a golden carriage and go to all the happening religious places to preach the Word before returning to his comfortable palace with all of his entourage.  Wait?  That didn't happen?  Oh, well, doesn't the Bible say some where, "Brethren, I wish above all that you prosper and be of good health?"  Doesn't that justify everything?  Nobody mention anything about that being a standard Roman greeting.

This show brings into focus the hypocrisy that most Christians in this country live their lives with, myself included. The real gospel is giving all that you have to those that have not and following Christ.  The real gospel is a rough wooden cross.  It is not comfortable for anyone.  It is not comfortable for me.  The tension is ever present.  It is easy for me to be appalled at these million dollar business parading around in the sheep's clothing of the 'church.'  However, my disgust must be self reflective. Hmm, the tension continues...

1 comment:

  1. I am not familiar with any of these tv programs. All I can say is that I think Jesus would be appalled at the ways of life and attitudes of so many of today's 'Christians'.

    ReplyDelete