Monday, July 4, 2011

I Have More Marks Than You, So There

I was thinking about something the other day. Why do some Christians give credit out? You know, like when someone is "saved," (if you don't know why I put it in quotations ask somebody who knows me), and someone else will say something like, 'oh, well that so-and-so, they really are good for that. They are going to get a big blessing.' Or, take someone who prays for someone who is sick and they get better; inevitably someone will credit the person who prayed. The thing is that some people receive a higher status in the church for this reason. Heck, I've heard people say that they should have so-and-so pray for them because they have more power. Seriously? Do we really believe that? Or, again, how about when a Christian singer or preacher dies and their music or preachings still are broadcast and someone is moved by them? I know that I've heard it said, "wow, look at that; they are already gone and they are still blessing people. They just got another reward in Heaven." I don't understand this logic. If people have some special powers then what do I need God for? Please, don't get me wrong. I don't serve God because he has special healing powers or anything. The only thing I need from God is his love and salvation, both of which are mine without the asking. Is it not one God who works through us all? Why credit people? Do we really think that God has a huge chalkboard with all of our names on it and he adds a tally next to our name when we do something that blesses someone? After five tallies we get a prize, what we call a blessing? Does this make sense to anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment