Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Break in the Clouds

Where did Christmas go wrong? I mean, why do we feel like we have to buy to have Christmas? I find it interesting that we start the Christmas season by stampeding into Walmarts and Targets to spend our money as fast as we can. It's everything that's wrong with our society. I was looking at pictures from yesterday online and there are all these incidences of people trampling each other to get into the stores. Self-centeredness at its finest. All in the name of saving money. Here's an idea: stay home, you'll save a great deal more money. People were running through the stores packed with all they could carry. What evil genius devised this plan? Let's have people spend all of their money on our merchandise, all the while feeling like they are compelled to. Hurry, hurry, spend, spend, more, more... Why do we fall for it? Fools, the whole lot of us. Folly at its finest. It is times like this that I agree with the liberal faction fighting to remove the term Christmas from the holiday season. I wonder if Jesus agrees? Afterall, we have practically replaced Christ with consumerism. What evil genius devised this plan? Let's have them believe they are worshiping Christ, all the while praising mammon. (Don't answer that last question; it was rhetorical.) Instead of holiday or Christmas, how about creditmas or debtmas, (they're basically the same thing, right?) Where have we gone wrong and, more importantly, how do we find our way back? God I pray that I am not fooled into thinking that if I buy merchandise branded with 'Jesus is the reason for the season' I am actually exemplifying that principle. I long to walk backwards, one step at a time, until I am out of the storm and can once again see the star shining brightly in the East, leading me to worship Him.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! Preach on! I am right there with you. Every year, I end up feeling so "blah" about Christmas and all the retail gluttony. I just can't even see straight part of the time. So, our Christmases are very different from what they used to be. We're trying to just wear blinders for all of December, to keep our focus :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard; I'm torn between teaching my children values and buying a nintendo dsi...

    ReplyDelete